Monday, December 27, 2010

The Old man and his God

Sudha Murthy. The first thing everyone remembers about her is that she was the one who wrote a letter to JRD Tata against the gender discrimination in TELCO. But she is known for more than just that. For her philanthropic work, her ability to accept and understand new things no matter from whomsoever.

It is just out of curiosity that I took a book written by her (Wise and Otherwise). But I was captivated by the theme, her personal experiences; she presents them in the form of short stories in simple English without much jargon. Her books emphasize the fact that “known is a drop and unknown is an ocean”. They tell us that there is something to learn in every other thing we do daily, people we meet and the circumstances we (or those around us) face in our lives.

This particular story about her friend who complains a lot; she goes on complaining that things are not working out the way she want them to be. This is something which each one of us face at some point or the other in our life. I could give my personal example; I was not getting the expected results, I couldn’t take the career path I wished, regrets keep on increasing. Life’s never easy. It doesn’t have to be the way we want it to be. But its in our hands to make it better. I am not saying we can alter it completely but we can be more accommodating.

We humans are insatiable. Can’t we just be grateful for what we have or do we go on wanting more?  Like the old man who refused pension because he didn’t need it; he had enough income to take care of his necessities and the village doctor to approach in case of medical emergencies and above all, his God.

No comments:

Post a Comment