Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Alchemy

It is said that chemistry came from alchemy. But it is the opposite at BPHC, alchemy being the name of the chemistry association.

When I first came to know that I have been transferred to Msc chemistry I was ecstatic. It was more than I expected. I thanked my friend for conveying it to me though I was sorry that he didn’t get bio. I ran all the way to admin block to check it. Never once I was disappointed. I was satisfied with it. I didn’t even apply for a transfer; I would have got Maths for sure had I applied. But I was happy with b2. I always wanted to study pure sciences.

I still remember our first association meeting where our seniors graciously welcomed us. Our first meeting with whole chemistry faculty, they introduced themselves n discussed their areas of research. The Director was also present to my surprise, I didn’t expect him. We were to introduce ourselves and state specifically why we all took chemistry. I am sure many including me would have lied for sure.

An year went by. We became seniors, inviting our juniors for their first every alchemy meeting. It was fun as we watched them give various reasons for being in b2 (vaguely remembering our own experiences and being nostalgic), it ended with a quiet dinner with all the faculty including the director. It was one of the my best evenings in BITS. I was one of the first few to arrive there and thought no one would come. But the turnout was huge. The faculty came along with their kids who made the event more lively.

I used to like chemistry in my 11th and 12th standards because it was in that subject that I used to score the maximum. Same with chem 1 and chem 2 at BITS. I recall all these things as I begin to think of next 3 semesters which would be consumed mostly by chemistry courses.  I hope there wouldn’t be any change in the way I perceive chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment