Monday, November 11, 2013

The zoo experience

It has been 6 years and 5 months since I have come to live in Hyderabad and it was yesterday that I could finally visit the zoo park or more officially the Jawaharlal Nehru Zoological Gardens. Of course, it isn’t that first time I am visiting this particular zoo. If I remember correctly, it was around my 3rd standard or so, I had been to that place when I visited Hyderabad.

I don’t know why people insist that zoo is for children or why someone visits zoo as a kid only. Ask my opinion and I would say it is for adults as much as it is for kids. Agreed, kids do get excited about seeing animals about which they have read in books or have pictures. But as an adult, one can differentiate better and recognize things well. I am stating this strictly based on personal experience. I am no psychiatrist or psychologist to dwell into the human mind.

Hardly do I remember anything from my previous expedition to this famous place except that it’s very big. But now, I have loads to say and that alone forms the crux of this post. Let me recall, what I have seen yesterday.  Jaguar, leopard, white and yellow tigers, lion, giraffe, peafowls, vultures, chimpanzee, crocodiles, turtles, hyena, jackals, grey wolves, ostrich, emus, kite, elephants, antelopes, deer, parakeets, pheasants and many more. I have even been to the nocturnal place housing different types of owls, porcupine, fruit bats and some varieties of cats. Of course, like a good girl that I am, I avoided the reptile house.

The most memorable ones are the jaguar peacefully sleeping, the white Bengal tiger relaxing and the ostrich posing like a ballerina, fully flexible and complete with a tutu. More so the golden pheasant with amazing colors over its body and its lengthy tail. Not to forget the graceful white peafowl looking adorable. I do remember wondering if rhinoceros was the inspiration of the modern armor and if the golden pheasants inspire current fashion designs.


Overall, it was a pleasant experience if you ignore the mild headache and the irritation that most animals were sleeping. Who knows, I might just go back to look at the bear which I have missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment